Carrot Pineapple Upside-down Cake
Source: Better Homes and Gardens India, April 2008
prep: 30 min, bake 45 min, cook 35 min.
Source : v-recipes
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp water
6-8 1/2 inch thick slices fresh pineapple, cored and halved
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk
3 carrots, finely shredded (1 1/2 cups)
1. Preheat Oven to 350F. Lightly coat a 9x9x2 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or oil; set aside.
2. In a small sauce pan, combine brown sugar, 2 tbsp butter, and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to boiling and is smooth. Pour in prepared pan; tilt to evenly coat bottom. Arrange pineapple slices over top.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter on medium-high for 30 seconds.
Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until combined; beat 2 minutes more.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Beat in vanilla.
Alternally add flour mixture and 3/4 cup milk; beat on low after each just until combined.
Stir in carrots. Spread batter over pineapple.
5. Bake 45 minutes or until golden and wooden pick inserted in centre comes our clean. Cool in pan on the rack for 5 minutes. Invert on platter. Cool 30 minutes.